Monday, November 8, 2010

Some notes on raising tadpoles...


We've been raising some tadpoles (of the striped marsh frog,
Limnodynastes peronii) for the last few weeks, rescued from our front pond after one of the heavy downpours and subsequent peaks in frog activities in late October.

Eli and I have really enjoyed watching them zoom around the tank and feed on the 'lettuce ice-cubes' that we've cooked up for them.



Since we collected two egg masses, we've got a lot of hungry mouths to feed and we soon found that the tank wasn't big enough (and that I had to change the water every day!). So, to mark the move of the tadpoles from the tank to their new lodgings (Eli's blue clam shell swimming pool), Eli and decided to get some footage of his favourite waterproof Hot Wheels car in with the tadpoles. You'll notice in the video that I found this activity more exciting than Eli did...I guess I'm still a boy at heart too.

NB. I should stress that
no animals were harmed in the filming of this video.



The tadpoles are now getting used to their new lodgings and some are celebrating with the arrival of tiny hind legs...and I'm really enjoying the fact that I don't have to fish them out and change their water every single day. We haven't got any more adventures planned for the tadpoles at the moment, but after filling the clam shell, Eli was wanting to set up his car track and launch some of his cars in...I decided that we shouldn't do that.


No comments: